Sunday, October 08, 2006

Spacer and Rat - Margaret Bechard

Genres: Science Fiction
Recommended Grades: 6-10

I have never really considered myself a fan of science fiction. It is kind of strange because I really like the fantasy genre, which is like a cousin of sci-fi. I also like sci-fi movies - the Star Wars films are favorites of mine, and I have very fond childhood memories of movies like Short Circuit and Batteries not Included. My guess as to why I am not a fan of science fiction is because I have not read enough of it. I've come to this conclusion because when I think of the few science fiction books I have read, I usually love them. Spacer and Rat by Margaret Bechard is no different.

Due to pollution and lack of resources Earth has become almost uninhabitable. For generations humans have been fleeing Earth and have set up colonies on space stations created from hollowed out asteroids. Jack is a spacer, a space-born human, living on the space station Freedom. He is an apprentice barkeep at a tavern frequented by Earthie space toursists. Life for Jack isn't great but will soon get better when he leaves Freedom station and moves to Liberty station and starts a new job. In the meantime Jack just wants to stay out of trouble and celebrate Perehelion with his friends. But staying out of trouble becomes tough when Jack meets Kit. Kit is a rat, an Earthie child illegally stowing away on the space station. Jack knows he should turn Kit over to the authorities but for some reason he feels bad for her. Little does Jack know that Kit is carrying something rare, something that people want, something that people will try to take with force. Before Jack knows it he is caught up in a dangerous chase, one that will alter his life forever.

Spacer and Rat is a really good book. As I said before I am not a huge fan of sci-fi but this book was easy for me to get into. Believable characters in an easy-to-imagine setting with an action-packed plot make this book a page turner. I think this book is a good book for younger teens, particularly boys and those that enjoy science fiction.

No comments: